Maybe I should retire


I want a house like this, but somewhere near civilization. I suppose I could buy it and retire. I could become a stay at home dad. 36427 Pistachio Dr. is a 3600 sq ft home with 4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths. I'll call it a one story because most of the living space is on the ground floor. It does have a "loft" and a bedroom upstairs. I've seen this model and I really like the floor plan. The front of this one is a little on the ugly side, ok it's a lot on the ugly side, but I still like the floor plan. Besides, a few big trees could hide some of that ugly. Unfortunately it's located just southeast of BFE .It could definitely use some landscaping, but at the selling price at least you could afford it.

Some doofus paid $610,500 for this thing in mid 2006. $610k for a house on the far-side of nowhere (even farther out than the middle of nowhere). That's just amazing that people paid that kind of money for a house out there. Oh wait, what am I thinking, they didn't really "pay" anything. Did they? They got a 100% loan (or maybe even a 115% loan) with nothing down and lived like rap stars for a couple of years while making those teaser 1.5% neg-am payments. Plus they used that extra 15% to buy an escalade with spinners. They sure as hell didn't use it to landscape the house.

It's now listed for $285K or $78 s/f. That's about 54% off the peak price. Sounds good, but I'm thinking "it's still in BFE!". I don't think it's worth $285k, $220k sounds about right to me. Some poor knife catcher will buy this thing and find themselves trapped in Winchester for the next 20 years.